Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Where to start?

It's interesting what turns you take in life. As a Carpenter by trade, I sure didn't stick with that total focus. During my late 20's to early 30's; back to school; I chose to learn about Computer systems, and numbers, and literature. Over the next few decades, all three came to play a major role as I progressed from Tradesman, to small business owner, to managing construction Corporations, then back the other way. When I arrived at UNC Charlotte as the new 2003 Renovations Supervisor, the minimum email and Microsoft were all that was needed. But I still used my skillsets to take Excel to the next level. Then the big accident here; blasted to unconsciousness; and during recovery made a major profession change; that of  Facilities Construction Engineer. From there I picked up Excel on steroids for major reporting linked to all MS products; AutoCAD MEP for Architectural Design; SketchUp Pro for rendering those designs in 3D; and a host of Adobe products to round out. It was then that I thought back to what started my in my original profession; a love of structures, bridges, out buidlings of all types; of all designs. But most dear; pre-1950.

So I started out doodling in my spare time; finding old photographs or building elevation plans; finding a common measured feature; then scaling the photo so that I could import it into AutoCAD and do an overlay of dimension and structural features.

Doing simple structures is not so simple I find. But there is a simple satisfaction in the many steps and edits it takes to create an elevation drawing that might attract those of like mind.

No comments: